Wednesday 27 June 2012

Great British Summer

June is almost over now...we had two really hot days last week and boy was it hot. The pollen was high and the bees in the field up the road were in seventh heaven. I went for an afternoon walk and walked over fields and through hedgerows to the neighbouring village of Methwold. I must have walked at least 15 miles as I had to follow the road back to Feltwell via Methwold Hythe as the shortcut through the old aerodromme was closed off by Darby's Nursery. I learnt how the pigs in the farm were managed as I walked past and I saw the recycling plant too. I also walked past fields of wheat and sugar beet too.

Farming is very much a part of this area and the weather dictates the crops and their growth. Asparagus was late this year and Norfolk produced some beautiful tender stems which we had for about two weeks. However, I had to check the country of origin labels at the supermarket when buying strawberries yesterday. As it was the second day of Wimbledon, I watched Nadal play and scoffed a bowl of strawberries with cream. It was in front of the telly but it did feel like a Wimbledon summer and yes, it felt good.

So what will July hold for us? All I know is that this year our English summer has been the wettest on record. When I go shopping these days I take with me the shopping bag I bought after the Jubilee celebrations. It has a union jack emblazoned on it and 'Great British Summer' written over it and it will remind me to enjoy each day of sunshine and rain as it comes. Nature is telling us that we must respect the land and look after what we have. We are fortunate to have all that nature provides and even if the harvest is poor this year, we will just have to make do. Happy British summer everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment