Monday 7 May 2012

Dinner party reflections

Last night we had friends round for dinner. Nothing spectacular one would say except that the evening was an achievement for me in terms of making everyone who came feel that they had a good time. Two couples already knew each other but one couple were new to the other four people. The evening flowed well and people were relaxed and got to know each other better as the evening wore on. As the cook and co-host, I sat back and watched my guests enjoy my cooking, drink, talk and laugh with each other. All my angst and worry about cooking for eight people dissipated when I realised that the main thing was bringing people together and sharing our lovely home with them. I worked hard to plan the menu, shop for ingredients, prepare the starters, main course and trimmings, dessert and the table setting. I learnt that preparation was the key to having a successful dinner party. The other thing I learnt was that the mix of people is important and the chemistry depends on the people, mostly. Pete and I just laid the setting out for a social, making sure that guests were looked after but at the end of the day it is the responsibility of each individual to contribute to the ambience. This may not be rocket science but organising people together can have different outcomes and each of us has a part to play - the dynamics of relationships and the interplay of gender, status and personality of each of our guests was a large part of the evening. As far a Pete and I were concerned we were there to cheer and cajole people on as well as to steer away from any controversy if there was any. Yes, having a co-host and partner is an essential part of having a party because we work together to ensure that our guests get on and enjoy being together. Pete is the support and foundation, providing the backdrop to make the men and women feel complementary and equal in discussions and to give the male perspective and balance between men and women within the dynamics. So my conclusion was that I was very pleased with myself to have been able to carry this dinner party for eight people and now feel more confident in my abilities in entertaining several people at home. When all is said and done and there is a pile of washing up and clearing up to do; all that matters is that people had a great time and we have gathered people together and strengthened friendships and relationships. That is what life is all about - having fun and being happy!

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you Dot - there's nothing worse than having a dinner party and your guests really not 'matching' or getting on. Can be very awkward. I'm sure you were both wonderful hosts. By the way, it took me a long time to find your blog - when I clicked on your link I kept on getting 'blog removed' so I don't know what the problem was.

    Anyway, we're currently planning a camping trip up to Birdsville & Boulia in July to see the camel races - Carole and John and Bill and Lorraine are coming with us, so it should be a lot of fun. I'll try to post some of our adventures to my blogspot at http://turners-travels.blogspot.com.au/

    Keep on blogging.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sylvia for your comment. I am blogging whenever the muse strikes me. It helps me reflect and share my thoughts with friends and family. I look forward to hearing about your travels with John and Carole!

    ReplyDelete